The last person to survive the devastating Colorado fire is a 91-year-old woman

Nadine Turnbull, 91, is believed to be the last person missing two weeks after the Dec. 30 fire that devastated Colorado, destroying about 1,100 buildings and causing an estimated $ 513 million in damage.

Officials confirmed Friday that they were still searching for a missing person, but declined to provide a name, but Turnbull’s relatives spoke to local media and confirmed to the Associated Press that she was missing.

The 91-year-old lived with her granddaughter on land where she had lived for decades, according to KCNC-TV. The couple lived on land with a few dogs, goats and horses, a family friend told the AP.

KCNC said the fire started a few miles from Turnbull’s home, and a neighbor told the news station that he was living on the next property in an RV with his family. The neighbor said he tried to help Turnbull escape the day of the fire.

“When we broke into our house it was like a freight train. It was a wall of fire,” said Scotty Roberts, Turnbull’s neighbor. Roberts told KCNC that his family lost their home in the fire that ravaged the Earl of Boulder.

Roberts said when any structure on his property was on fire in about 20 minutes, he knew they needed to evacuate and realized that the nearby Turnbull property was probably in a similar state.

Colorado firefighter Nadine Turnbull, the missing person
A house blazed after a swift fire moving through the area in the Centennial Heights neighborhood of Louisville, Colorado on December 30, 2021. Officials said this week that there is one person still missing from the fire, which parents say is 91- Nadine Turnbull of year.
Marc Piscotty / Getty Images

On his way to Turnbull’s house, Roberts said he pointed to a sheriff’s deputy and told her that an elderly woman was living on the street and probably needed help.

The men arrived and took Turnbull’s niece, Layla, out of the house, but the opening of the door to drive her out caused an oxygen rush that swept more fire around the house, Roberts said. at KCNC. The sheriff’s deputy said it was too dangerous to return, but Roberts said he could not stop trying and did not blame the other man for leaving.

When Roberts tried to help Nadine Turnbull out of the house, she said the woman’s dogs, strapped to her hands by her leashes, were huddled around a table.

“I was attached to the dogs that were wrapped around the table, and I couldn’t pull everyone and the table with me at the same time,” Roberts told KCNC, fighting back tears and visibly trembling as he recalled the incident. “And when I came back like that, I fell off the step and I hit the truck, and there was just fire everywhere, and I couldn’t breathe anymore, and I looked up, and I said,‘ Sorry. , ‘and I escaped, and could not return to the fire.’

Roberts said the fire had become too large and he was forced to leave, but he still feels guilty since his neighbor and friend is still missing two weeks later.

Turnbull’s great-granddaughter and other relatives spoke to KCNC and the Washington Post about their frustration with the lack of information from investigators, and the pain that comes with not knowing what happened to Turnbull.

Source link

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.